Saturday, January 30, 2010

Model, Model, Model

This week we read Routman's chapter regarding teaching comprehension as well as Cooper's article. We already know that Routman is a firm believer in modeling. In Writing Essentials she told us that if students are not writing the way she expects them to, she knows it is because she has not modeled the writing enough.

Routman states that comprehension strategies often become synonymous with comprehension. She warns against this belief stating that strategies are merely tools for comprehension. Routman further notes that students are spending loads of time and energy on learning and practicing the strategies being taught, but many times are doing so without knowing how to apply them. She therefore argues that it is very important to teach students why we are teaching a particular strategy, and that we must then go on to model how to use the given strategy by thinking aloud for our students.

Cooper states that readers construct meaning in a text by interacting with it - by thinking about what one is reading. Like Routman, Cooper discusses the importance of modeling and notes that through modeling, teachers are carefully scaffolding their literacy instruction. Unlike Routman however, Cooper takes time to identify two types of modeling, implicit and explicit. I wonder if Routman assumes that teachers are unconsciously and implicitly modeling at all times?

Cooper states that teachers should model each strategy in meaningful contexts. I think this is similar to Routman's argument that we must allow our students to "see" how and why we are applying strategies when we read.

It appears as if Cooper makes his own argument for Routman's Optimal Learning Model. Cooper states that we begin with modeling (Routman's Demonstration phase). Teachers should then move into modeling in an interactive manner through activities that call for collaboration between teacher and students (Routman's Shared Demonstration phase). Cooper follows this by stating that teachers should gradually transfer their modeling to their students, guiding them to become strategic readers (Routman's Guided Practice phase). Although Cooper does not mention independent practice, I believe it is the only natural next step and implied by Cooper when he states that we guide students to become strategic readers.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Nicole,

    I love Routman and her belief that it is important to explain to students why we are teaching certain strategies and to model how to use the strategy by thinking aloud for our students. By modeling the strategy you are helping the student by using the, “I do it, we do it and you do it” approach to teaching and I think it is the key for successful learning to take place. It is so important when teaching, to explain what is going to be taught and why, with examples in place so that they know why they are being taught this particular lesson. Real life context can only add to the students understanding and help them stay focused and interested.

    I also truly enjoyed Cooper’s comment about being able to construct meaning in a text by interacting with it. I see this happening in small group book talks, with some guided questions or topics to help get these discussions going. I think it is important that the teacher walk around to all the tables and participate in these conversations as well to keep things heading in the right direction. We do a lot of this in our cohort and I know that I have found it to be tremendously valuable.

    You brought up some great comments about the readings from last week and you really engaged me as a student and gave me some great ideas for teaching.

    Nice work Nicole!

    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nicole,

    I forgot to add my link. I am actually emailing you the specific text because it is a long article and the url. It is a really interesting article. :)

    Strategies for teaching comprehension
    Learning to read is not a linear process. Students do not need to learn to decode before they can learn to comprehend. Both skills should be taught at the same time from the earliest stages of reading instruction. Comprehension strategies can be taught using material that is read to children, as well as using material the children read themselves.

    Before reading, teachers can establish the purpose for the reading, review vocabulary, activate background knowledge, and encourage children to predict what the story will be about. During reading, teachers can direct children's attention to difficult or subtle dimensions of the text, point out difficult words and ideas, and ask children to identify problems and solutions. After reading, children may be asked to retell or summarize stories, to create graphic organizers (such as webs, cause-and-effect charts, or outlines), to put pictures of story events in order, and so on. Children can be taught specific metacognitive strategies, such as asking themselves on a regular basis whether what they are reading makes sense or whether there is a one-to-one match between the words they read and the words on the page.

    http://www.readingrockets.org/article/97

    Kim

    ReplyDelete