We have been reading Anne Lamott's Bird By Bird in our Literacy class this quarter. In this book, Lamott shares her advice and instructions regarding writing. In Part One of the book, we learn the origin of the title - it was the advice her father (a writer) gave to her brother when he was feeling overwhelmed writing a report on birds. He said, "Bird by bird, buddy. Just take it bird by bird" (Lamott, p. 19).
Later in the book, at the end of Part Two on page 130, Lamott shares a quote by Rabbi Hillel that she has taped to the wall by her desk, "I get up. I walk. I fall down. Meanwhile, I keep dancing." Lamott goes on to write that the way she dances is by writing. Since reading this quote several weeks ago, I haven't been able to stop thinking about the way I dance. I think my dance changes to fit where I'm at in my life at any given moment. As I continue to navigate my way through the certification program and student teaching, I would say that the way I dance is by taking it bird by bird. I don't know any other way to dance at this point in my life.
Papers to write, lessons to tweak, observations to have, chapters to read, portfolios to create, beliefs to be made. And meanwhile I keep dancing, bird by bird.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Never stop dancing. Bird by bird, that is all we have right now. Great post, my friend. -ark
ReplyDeleteIs there joy in the dancing, even when you're dancing bird by bird? - Nancy
ReplyDeleteGood point, dancing bird by bird does not sound joyful. Although perhaps not everyone's dance is joyful. I do believe however, that my dance is, and I would therefore like to restate my initial thought: As I work my way through the teacher certification program, I am taking it all in bird by bird. I have decided however, that the way that I dance is by learning. I've realized that I have always danced by learning and I hope I dance this way for the rest of my life. Learning is an adventure... dancing is an adventure... and I want to have one hell of a story.
ReplyDelete